Octopus Salad – Kitchen Secrets – Practical Recipes
Dear Özlem lady sent a perfect recipe and shared all the details of making octopus salad with us. Since he hasn’t sent a photo of the recipe yet, I’m posting it with a temporary photo. Ms. Ozlem, thank you for your work…
Since I live in a place by the sea in the Aegean Region, I can easily reach the octopus and even catch it myself if I can. That’s why I want to share with you all the processes of the octopus from the sea until it comes to the table. It is probably possible to reach octopus in fish markets in big cities.
I usually just wash the octopus in sea water after catching it and put it in the freezer. Freezing without washing with tap water is an important trick in my opinion. When I make an octopus salad, I take it out of the freezer and thaw it (I defrost the octopus at room temperature)
Ingredients for Octopus Salad Recipe
- 1 octopus
- 2 full tablespoons of cumin
- fresh onion
- pickled gherkins
- lemon olive oil
How to Make Octopus Salad Recipe?
- I wash the octopus by cutting off its head. (There is a slimy liquid on the octopus, and this liquid disappears after boiling.) If there are people who find their head delicious, that is, they say that they will not waste their head, they can boil it with their head, too.
- The octopus is boiled in a pressure cooker (depending on its size) in an average of 20-30 minutes.
- After I put the octopus in the pot, I add 2 full tablespoons of cumin and enough water to cover it by a few fingers and cook it on medium heat. After the air comes out, I open the pot I took off the fire and clean the octopus.
- It is also very easy to clean when I cook it this way. The skin comes off easily, even by itself. (The criterion to understand that it is cleaned is that the legs are smooth and white). Then I add olive oil and lemon. There is no need to add salt, because the octopus’s own salt is sufficient.
- It is useful to mix the salad with lemon and olive oil at least a few hours before serving. Because it absorbs octopus oil and lemon well.
I don’t know if I wrote everything in detail, but I wanted to describe it according to someone who doesn’t know. I hope you will like it.
ENJOY YOUR MEAL….